NorVol Jazz aims to grow the jazz audience and help members to prosper by sharing best practice and improving marketing and access to jazz for all. Membership is open to any volunteer supported organisations involved in jazz promotion in the Northern region of England.
The Northern region is alive with jazz. With a rich and vibrant community of musicians, promoters, audiences, educators and venues, the region can boast a national reputation for jazz, regularly attracting distinguished national and international jazz artists to its clubs and venues. There is also a vibrant grass roots pub scene. We believe the North has the strongest networkt of independent jazz promoters in the UK.
The region is host to a growing number of jazz weekends and festivals – for example, Scarborough, Cleethorpes, Marsden, Gateshead, Liverpool, Southport, Ribble Valley, Lancaster, Manchester, Keswick, Burton Agnes and Hull. Established arts festivals like Harrogate International Festival, Chapel Allerton in Leeds, Grassington and Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival, all feature artists from the wide spectrum of jazz and improvised music. They add to the wealth of jazz on offer in the North.
From the left and around the table:
- Geoff Matthews – Southport Melodic Jazz/Southport Winter Weekend festival (NorVol Treasurer)
- Chris de Saram – Wakefield Jazz (NorVol Chairman up to 25 July 2018)
- Paul Bream – Splinter Jazz, Newcastle (NorVol North East Rep)
- Kim Macari – Jazz at HEART, Headingley Leeds
- Ivor Surtees, Drexal Parker and Peter Nixon Saltburn Jazz
- Gill Wilde – Grimsby Jazz / Cleethorpes Jazz Festival
- Jean Watson – Seven Jazz Chapel Allerton Leeds
- Paul Thomas, Sheffield Jazz
- Bob Walker – Scarborough Jazz /Scarborough Jazz Festival
- Stuart Issac – East Midlands Jazz (visitor)
- Joan and Dave Parker – The Jazz Co op, Newcastle
- Russell Corbett, Neil Campbell and Charlie McGovern – Jazz North East Newcastle
Taken at the autumn quarterly meeting at Scarborough Jazz Festival Sat 27 Sept 2014
Not shown in photo
- Mike Gordon – Scarborough Jazz/Scarborough Jazz Festival
- Steve Mead – Jazz North and Manchester Jazz Festival
- Photographer – Steve Crocker – Seven Jazz, Leeds (NorVol Secretary)