Are you a jazz promoter in the north of England? Do you want help promoting your gigs, running your gigs, touring and programming bands to play? Then why not join the NorVol Jazz network of independent jazz promoters! It costs just £50 per year. Complete the form on our membership page by pressing the join button above.
Northern Jazz Live
NorVol's Blog Spot
- RIP John Critchinson (December 24, 1934 – December 15, 2017.)Source: Bebop Spoken HerePublished on 15-12-1722 hours ago
- CD Review: The Lindsay Hannon Plus – Make Dark Heaven Light2 days ago
- Chris Biscoe; Roger Turner ; John Pope. A Jazz North East ‘On the Outside’ performance @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle – December 32 days ago
- CD Review: Andrew Bain – Embodied Hope.2 days ago
- CD Review: Hugh Masekela – Sixty/Black to the Future/Notes of LifeSource: Bebop Spoken HerePublished on 13-12-173 days ago
- Favourite Animals and Article XI @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle – December 104 days ago
- Sinatra Birthday Bash in Red Bank4 days ago
- Matt Anderson Quartet Kickstarter campaign4 days ago
- SevenJazz finishes – JazzLeeds takes over!Source: Northern Jazz LivePublished on 12-12-175 days ago
- Northern Line Round 6 announcedSource: Northern Jazz LivePublished on 11-12-175 days ago
- Guidelines for applications to northern line round 6 touring period.Source: Bebop Spoken HerePublished on 11-12-175 days ago
- Jazz North northern line open for applicationsSource: Bebop Spoken HerePublished on 11-12-175 days ago
- Kate Williams Quartet, 8th Dec. 2017Source: Wakefield Jazz Club ReviewsPublished on 10-12-176 days ago
- House of the Black Gardenia @ Billy Bootleggers – Dec 96 days ago
- The Lambton Big Band @ The Black Swan – Dec 96 days ago
- Review of the year – Ashington Jazz Club6 days ago
- Up next . . .Source: JATPjazzPublished on 09-12-177 days ago
- The Early Bird Band @ The Jazz Café – Dec 91 week ago
- Ayanna Witter-Johnson @ The Black Swan December 71 week ago
- Leeds Lord Mayor Gets Jazzy!1 week ago
Voice of the Norvoljazz network - independent jazz promoters in the North.
Sign up below to get regular news about jazz in the north...
The Lord Mayor, Cllr Jane Dowson was the special guest at the JazzLeeds launch party held on Sunday afternoon 10 December at Seven Arts Chapel Allerton Leeds.
It’s 10 years since voluntary jazz promoters Seven Jazz started at Seven Arts in the Chapel Allerton suburb of the city. The special concert featured two of the young bands from the city that make Leeds the jazz capital of the North – with jazz vocalist Kate Peters and her septet and the award-winning Tom Sharp Jazz Orchestra. It was also the last concert presented by Seven Jazz and the first by the new organisation in the city JazzLeeds
Cllr Dowson announced some exciting news for 2018 – there is to be a new six day Jazzleeds festival (July 20-25th 2018) at city centre venues including the Wardrobe, the College of Music and Millennium Square and featuring jazz stars like Soweto Kinch and Greg Abate and including a jazz play about the legendary Leeds studio 20 Jazz Club of the 1950’s by Leeds author Chris Nickson and a celebration of the music of Duke Ellington marking 60 years since his famous visit to Leeds in 1958
Cllr Dowson also be announced the setting up of a new charitable organisation JazzLeeds, to support the development of jazz in the city in the future and provide a lasting legacy for the superb jazz history of Leeds.
The concert on Sunday at Seven Arts also included fundraising raffle for the Lord Mayor’s charity appeal – Candlelighters, the children’s cancer charity based in Leeds who support families facing children’s cancer across Yorkshire.
Steve Crocker, Jazz organiser JazzLeeds said
“It has been a brilliant ten years for us in Leeds with the highlight undoubtedly being named as the UK’s best jazz club in the Parliamentary Jazz award. Leeds is such a buzzing jazz city and there are great things to come from the new JazzLeeds organisation. But getting the Lord Mayor of Leeds to a jazz gig was just icing on the cake – and a very nice cake it was too!Author: Steve CrockerPosted: December 12, 2017, 12:42 am
It’s that time of year again and the Jazz North organisation has now opened the application portal to recruit the next round of northern artists for Round 6 of the Northern Line scheme.
Since its launch in 2013, northern line has featured 58 Ambassador Artists who have performed over 550 gigs with approximately 150 promoters and partners across the north of England and beyond. As in previous years, northern line Round 6 will be selected by an independent panel of musicians, promoters and industry experts. Artists selected for the scheme will benefit from subsidised performance fees, on-going professional development support and will perform at our showcase day at Manchester Jazz Festival in July 2018.
It is very important to us that the Northern Line roster represents the diversity of our region and we are looking to raise awareness and encourage applications from northern based artists who may not ordinarily be aware of the scheme. We are particularly keen to receive applications from talented women and musicians from diverse ethnic backgrounds, both of whom are woefully underrepresented in the jazz sector.
Information can be found here http://www.jazznorth.org/northern-line-r6/
A short video about the scheme can be found here: https://vimeo.com/245625045/1e66dd6cbbAuthor: Steve CrockerPosted: December 11, 2017, 10:58 pm
Some splendid entertainment for you from JazzLeeds in the new year. Seven concerts in their evening series featuring - Trish Clowes’ “My Iris”, Mark Lockheart’s “Malija”, Georgia Mancio/Kate Williams Quartet “Finding Home“, Derek Nash's acoustic quartet, Tom Ridout’s “No Excuses”, Stan Sultzmann with VEIN and Darius Brubeck Quartet. Here are the dates for your diary and links to more information
Thursday 18/1 Trish Clowes’ “My Iris”
Thursday 8/2 Mark Lockheart’s “Malija”
Thursday 8/3 Georgia Mancio/Kate Williams Quartet “Finding Home“
Thursday 22/3 Derek Nash acoustic quartet
Thursday 19/4 Tom Ridout’s “No Excuses”
Friday 4/5 Stan Sultzmann with VEIN
Thursday 17/5 Darius Brubeck Quartet
All concerts are at Seven Arts, Chapel Allerton in Leeds. You can buy a season ticket for all seven and save 30% here - Christmas gift sorted!! https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/event/FEKDKJ.Author: Steve CrockerPosted: December 6, 2017, 1:43 am
- RIP John Critchinson (December 24, 1934 – December 15, 2017.)